Monday, February 13, 2006

Explorations...

Thanks Stephanie and Kelly for the comments!

My argyle sweater is made with Lion Wool- I got gauge using sz6 needles instead of Eunny's recommended sz4. It's a mauvey-pink and black.

About puckering: I've been fortunate to not have much puckering- except when I forget to add in the bottom of a black diamond that comes in the middle of the black/pink checkering part- and then I have to drop where I made pink and pick up the black, but there isn't enough black slack there, so it puckers a bit. It's not too noticeable, so I hope that blocking will help. (It looks funny inside though because there's extra long pink strands randomly in those parts)

Stephanie- are you knitting with yarn on both hands or one handed? I'm an English knitter normally, but I'm starting really get the hang of using both hands- I might even be continental when I'm done with this project- I like how fast it's progressing- it's nice to be able to read the pattern as I'm knitting and not have to look at the chart for every stitch.

In my blogsurfing today I came across Cathy of "Eat Sleep Knit" who recently deconstructed a salvation army bought sweater using the Neauveau tutorial. I'm excited by the possibility of finding enough nice yarn in a previously made sweater to make the Rebecca Cable Turtleneck (Did I mention I FINALLY got the Rebecca 28 I ordered almost 2 weeks ago?) It takes so much yarn, and I'm not really comfortable spending that much money unless I know the pattern is going to be flattering.

Of course, we're closing on our new house in 2 weeks and trying to pack up the apartment, so the chances of me buying a sweater, taking it apart, washing it and letting it dry in my bathroom are pretty slim.. and probably less slim once we move- b/c there's so much work that needs to be done on the house- I can see plaster falling on the new clean yarn already..

The hubby and I are going out to dinner tonight (for valentine's day- yes I know it's tomorrow- but one of us undoubtedly works on valentine's, so typically we have valentine's lunch- but he has a class during lunch tomorrow- hence, valentine's pre-dinner tonight) at Left Bank which should be good- I'm not thrilled with their wine list, but I love local, upscale restaurants..

3 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 6:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

We went out for V Day dinner last night, so I'm one up on you. DH is leaving for Boston tomorrow afternoon, and I have swim practice tonight. Guess my true V Day dinner will be at McD's with my son. :-)

 
At 2/14/2006 9:26 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

aw- Happy Valentine's Day! How old is your son? That's cute.

 
At 2/14/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

My son is 6. Actually, our plans have changed. I'm going the drive-through at Krystal's to get him some chicken nuggets, then we're going to my fave sushi restaurant for dinner with my best friend.

About the vest - I'm using 1 hand. I knit English too, and I found that I can do it with 1 hand. I've tried continental before, but I really don't like it. Of course that means I'm knitting this vest very slowly, but oh well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to meet the Olympic deadline. How much yarn are you using? I ordered the amount that the pattern calls for, but the ribbing ate up almost an entire ball, so I'm going to order at least 1 more of the main color, if not 2. That sucks - I ordered it from a place in Oregon, so now I have to pay shipping twice. Yuck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home